Nothing says holiday to me more than a whole lot of sparkle. It may just be the time of year. The days are short and the nights are long. There is the shine of all the decorations everywhere you go. The lights outside our homes and the lights on our Christmas trees. And it goes all the way back to the original Christmas story, where the 3 wise men and the shepard’s were lead to the manger in Bethlehem by following the brightest and shiniest star in the sky.
I will admit that I may just use it as an excuse to wear all my shiniest outfits. But why not? Holiday parties are the perfect excuse to add a little glitter. You can add a little; or you can add a lot. Here are a few tips to help you get your shine on:
1. If it makes you nervous, go with a little in your accessories. A fabulous pair of chandelier earrings and a large cocktail ring will take an LBD to the next level. Or how about a sparkly pair of stilettoes. They are so trendy right now you will be able to find them at all price points.
2. Go for all-over sequins. It’s not as difficult as you might think to carry this off. But keep the style simple. A shift is the easiest to carry off and works for all body types.
3. Buy a metallic jacket and where it over anything. It’s a great way to amp up a pair of jeans. Keep the style classic and you will have this jacket for many years to come. You will be surprised how often you reach for it.
4. There is no need to wear head to toe sparkle. Wear it just on top or just on the bottom. There are so many options. One of my favorite right now is a fantastic pair of wide leg pants.
5. Embellished stockings are another great way to add some sparkle to your outfit. These can be very subtle or completely over the top. Again, just work to your comfort level.
Once you try a little glitter, you will want to add more and more. I have many pieces that I have added to my collection over the years. If you choose wisely, these pieces do not go out of style. You will reach for them time and time again. Make sure that you:
1. Stick to classic silhouettes—a shift dress, a stiletto heal, a pencil skirt—as they will never go out of style.
2. Look for quality pieces. They may cost a little more now, but worth it when you break it down to cost per wear.
3. Try them on and make sure you feel fabulous while wearing them. It’s OK to push your comfort level a little bit, but if you go way beyond it, you will never wear it.
I often pair my shiny piece with simple black piece. Make it stand out. Most importantly, have fun. The best thing about holiday parties is the chance to catch up with friends and family, and enjoy the company. Happy holidays everyone.